I got a little bit adventurous this time and modified my other half’s childhood favourite family recipe: pineapple slice. Even though I was told under no circumstances should the recipe be meddled with, I went ahead and did it anyway. They turned out not too lemony so you could probably alter how much lemon and/or sugar to add depending on how tart you like your lemon dessert experience.
Lemon Shortbread Slice is made in two parts:
For the base you need:
- 115g butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
For the topping I used:
- 3 organic lemons, juiced, including as much pulp as possible
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbspn custard powder
- 2 Tbspn butter
- 1 cup water
To make the base:
- Line a large baking tin (31cm x 23cm) with baking parchment and pre-heat your oven to 170 C
- Cream the butter and the sugar.
- Add the egg then slowly add the flour.
- Firmly press the base mixture into the baking tin and bake for 20 minutes.
To make the topping:
- Boil together the lemon juice, sugar, water, butter and custard powder until it thickens.
- Pour over the baked base and make sure it is entirely covered and level.
- Allow it to cool in the fridge and then slice into squares.
Use this link to go to the host blog by Deliciuex and find loads of other lemony desserts.